A Parent’s Guide to Back to School7/24/2015 11:25 AM
Sadly summer is coming to a close and the hectic back to school transition that seemed so far away is right around the corner. Did travel plans cause you to miss out on your child’s new school year orientation, or did the all important supply list get misplaced yet again? No need to worry; Swissgear.com has thought of everything and then some to ensure your child is ready for the new school year.
Check out Swissgear.com’s list of essential back-to-school basics that every student should have in their backpack on the first day of school!
- One spiral notebook or composition book for each subject or class
- One pocket folder for each subject or class
- A three-ring binder
- Loose-leaf notebook paper (The type of paper needed often depends on the age of the student. Elementary school students usually need large-ruled paper, whereas many middle school and high school students are required to use college-ruled paper.)
- Glue sticks
- Scissors (blunt-edged scissors for younger kids, and pointed scissors for older ones)
- A hand-held pencil sharpener
- A large pink eraser
- Highlighters (for older students)
- A ruler with English and metric measurements
- A lunchbox or bag with a healthy lunch, or money to buy lunch at school
- Pencils (Make sure to pick up at least a few No. 2 pencils before standardized testing season!)
- Ballpoint pens
- Colored pencils and/or water-based markers
- A pencil pouch or box
While these are the basic supplies that all students are likely to need for their first day of the year, make sure to leave room in your budget, and your child’s backpack, for the extra supplies they are likely to need as the school year progresses. These items can include anything from art supplies like paint and brushes to tissues for your child’s desk. Back to school season is in full swing, so get going as soon as possible to avoid rushing around at the last minute, and risking that your local stores will be out of these essential supplies.
Don’t forget to take advantage of back-to-school sales and the “tax-free days” offered in many states to help take the sting out of the cost of back-to-school shopping!